Cyber security is the protection of virtual data or networks from any kind of theft, damage, or misdirection. To be more elaborate, Cyber security, also known as information systems security, refers to the protection of information systems, technologies, and networks from any cyber attack by using various technologies, processes, and controls. Cyber security is an upcoming career option since technology is rapidly advancing in our day to day lives. And one country to pursue an established cyber security career is Canada. A master’s degree in cyber security would help you delve deeper into the world of technologies and information systems and will provide you with a more elaborate understanding of the world of cyber security. Moreover, a master’s in cyber security in Canada would help you find better prospective opportunities in this varied and extensive field. This article will assist you with the top universities to pursue Masters in Cyber Security Canada and will take you through their eligibility and admission process.
Table of Contents
Benefits of Masters in Cyber Security Canada
Canada proves to be a spectacular place for students who desire to pursue a master’s in cyber security. With great universities, a good grounding in the field of cyber security, and an increasing demand for cyber security professionals, Canada poses to be an ideal place for all the cyber security enthusiasts.Statistics note that the world of cyber security is expected to emerge as the largest and fastest-growing service sector by 2024, with an increase of 33% of the total jobs in cyber security by 2029.This rapidly growing nature of the field makes it more desirable for students hoping to jump into this sector. Apart from the growing demand for cyber security professionals in Canada, The country also holds several universities that rank at the top in this field and provides a vivid and learn-filled journey.With its great infrastructure and expertise in the field of cyber security, Canada is great for students who are looking for a fun and fulfilling career in the field of cyber security.
Overview of Masters in Cyber Security in Canada
Cyber security courses are provided by some specialised universities in Canada. The course goes by different names in the country, names such as – Masters in Applied Science, Masters in Engineering, and Masters in Science. Moreover, Canada also provides several short courses in the field of cyber security that provide the students with good learning and professional experiences.Here is a brief overview of what you can expect from your master’s degree in cyber security in Canada:
- Duration: The duration of the course would be between 1- 2 years, depending on your course specification and university.
- Fees and Costs: The cost of studying for a master’s degree in cyber security in Canada would range from 17,000 CAD to 35,000 CAD.
- General Eligibility Requirements: The student is required to complete an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Cyber Security, or any related field.
- Average Starting Salary: The average starting salary of a student who has completed a master’s in cyber security in Canada could range from around 42,000 CAD to 45,000 CAD.
The best guidance for your STUDY ABROAD DREAM
Start your journey with the best study abroad experts in India
Book a free session
A course in Cyber security from Canada is an elaborate course with a clear motive to make students well-versed in the field and help them establish themselves in the vast arena of cyber security.
Top 4 Colleges for Masters in Cyber Security Canada
Here are the top colleges for master’s in cyber security in Canada, along with their eligibility and admission requirements and processes.These universities are considered to be one of the top universities in cyber security in Canada, owing to their expertise in the field, a great infrastructure, and an appropriate learning atmosphere.Though admission to almost every college in Canada requires following some general procedures, all of these colleges hold their specific eligibility and admission processes as well.
A top university in the field of cyber security, Concordia University is popular for its versatile learning system. It is ranked amongst the top in the university world rankings and holds an experienced space for cyber security enthusiasts. The university provides a Master’s in Applied Sciences and a Master’s in Engineering, in the field of cyber security, and the course duration is of two years.Eligibility
- The students should hold a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer applications, software engineering, or mechanical engineering.
- A Credited score for proficiency in the English language is required for international students:
- Students might be required to sit for the Engineering Writing Test, which is conducted by Gina Cody School.
IELTS: 6.5TOEFL: 85PTE: 57Admission Requirements & Process
- The applications are accepted for fall, winter, and summer terms.
- The students are required to fill out the application form and submit the application fee of 103.50 CAD.
- They are then required to provide the official documents, along with the English Language test score, three letters of recommendation, a Statement of Purpose, and a curriculum vitae.
- Once all the documents are provided, students can wait for the final decision to come.
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick is one of the prestigious universities for a master’s program in cyber security. The Canadian Institute of Cyber security is a part of the university and holds 20+ years of experience in the field. Admission to this university is tough since it has limited seats and a lot of applicants. But the experience and opportunities that the university provides are vast.Two courses provide learning in the field; the courses are Masters in Applied Cyber Security and Masters in Computer Science. The courses span from 1-2 years.Eligibility
- The students are required to have a bachelor’s degree in Data Structures, Computer software, Operating systems and Algorithms, and Computer Architecture. In case a coursework degree is a bachelor’s, Grade B is required, and for a thesis degree in cybersecurity, a grade B+ is required.
- GRE Scores are required for international students
- The students could be required to take an English proficiency test.
IELTS: 7.0TOEFL: 80PTE: 65Admission Requirements & Process
- The applications are accepted for fall and winter sessions.
- The students are required to fill out their application forms and pay the application fees as mentioned.
- They are then required to submit the official documents of their undergraduate degree and test scores (GRE and English proficiency).
- A letter of recommendation and a research proposal for a preferred research area is also to be submitted.
- Once completed, the students can wait for the final decision to arrive.
Northeastern University is one of the top universities in Canada and the world. The university offers an MS in Cyber security, i.e., Masters in Science in Cyber Security. The duration of the course is 1-2 years, with approximately 32 semester hours.The course in cyber security offered by the university is a specialised course. The students will get to learn not just about cyber security but other relevant topics such as law and social sciences. The course is a holistic course for anyone looking for an interesting career in cyber security.Eligibility
- The students should hold an undergraduate degree in a relevant field.
- Have prior knowledge of Cryptography, Information Assurance, Computer System Security, and similar fields.
- Have a GPA score of more than 3.0.
- English Proficiency Test is also required.
- The students are required to provide the application form along with the application fees as mentioned.
- Then the students have to submit the required documents, such as official transcripts and test scores.
- At times, they might also need a statement of purpose and a Letter of Recommendation.
- Once the application is complete, the students can wait for the final results.
University of Ontario
One of the top universities in Canada that provides a specialised course in cyber security is the University of Ontario. The university has a prominent institute that holds expertise in the field of cyber security, the institute of technology.The college provides a degree in masters in information technology security, which could be completed in two years.Eligibility
- The student should hold a bachelor’s degree with a score of above 3.0 GPA. (But preference would be given to students holding an undergraduate degree in a relevant field).
- A language proficiency test would be required.
- A prior experience or interest in the field of cyber security is also an added advantage.
IELTS: 6.5TOEFL: 83-87Admission Process
- The college accepts applications for fall and winter sessions.
- The students are required to apply along with the application fees.
- They are also required to submit official transcripts and other documents. Their test scores for English proficiency would also be needed.
- Once all the documents are submitted, the students can wait for the final decision to come.
A master’s degree in cyber security could be a great option for students aiming to establish themselves in the field of advancing technologies. With great career prospects and emerging requirements for good cyber security professionals, this stream of education has become a prominent and diversified career option. With a good master’s in cyber security in Canada, the students can find an established job in the country itself, given its vast requirement for cyber security professionals. Magnificent infrastructure, good quality education, and a vivid experience in cyber security are only some of the amazing things that Canada has to offer its students.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is prior work experience required to pursue Masters in cyber security in Canada?
No, prior work experience is not necessary to apply for a master’s in Cyber Security in Canada; however, if you have some work experience, then it might give you an advantage over others.
What are the job opportunities that I can apply for after my Masters in cyber security?
There are a variety of job opportunities to apply for after a master’s degree in cyber security – Cyber Security Analyst, Cyber Security Engineer, Computer Network Technician, and many more.
What are the prerequisites for Masters in cyber security? ›
Admission to a cybersecurity graduate program requires an undergraduate degree. Most applicants hold a bachelor's in a related field such as engineering or computer science. Some cybersecurity schools prefer applicants with professional experience in information technology or computer science.Which college has the best cyber security program in Canada? ›
- Canadian College of Technology and Business (CCTB)
- General Assembly.
- Humber College.
- Schulich ExecEd.
- Toronto Film School.
- Toronto School of Management (TSoM)
- Toronto School of Management (TSoM) Diploma in Cybersecurity Specialist Co-op. ...
- Cyber Security Bootcamp. ...
- Cyber Security Career Track. ...
- Trebas Institute. ...
- BrainStation. ...
- Conestoga College. ...
- Canadian College of Technology and Business (CCTB) ...
- Humber College.
MS in Cyber Security in Canada is a 1-2 year full time program offered by the top universities in Canada in Fall, Winter and Summer terms. Currently, the tuition cost of MS in Cybersecurity in the universities in Canada can range anywhere between 16,880 to 37,966 CAD (10.17 to 22.89 lakhs INR).Who is eligible for cyber security course? ›
The candidate must have completed class 12th in any stream from a recognised university. The candidate must have a bachelor's degree of a minimum duration of 3 years in any stream from a university recognised by UGC with at least 50% or equivalent marks (45% for SC/ST candidates).What is the minimum qualification for cyber security? ›
In general, a cybersecurity engineer must have the following qualifications: Degree in Computer Science, IT, Systems Engineering, or a similar field. Two years of work experience in cyber security-related duties such as incident detection and response, and forensics.